• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Windows XP SP3

maynardvdm

FPCH Long Term Member
Has anyone "successfully" installed SP3.

It seems to me it is now in the automatic update of Windows.

I gave it one attempt but it failed.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
I haven't bothered.

Got a link which shows the advantages?

maynardvdm

FPCH Long Term Member
When i tried it gave me a error saying a device attached to my system is causing a problem. Will look for solutions on that.

Do you think it matters if it is on FAT32 or NTFS?

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Nah, that shouldn't matter.

Important This article contains information that shows you how to help lower security settings or how to turn off security features on a computer. You can make these changes to work around a specific problem. Before you make these changes, we recommend that you evaluate the risks that are ***ociated with implementing this workaround in your particular environment. If you implement this workaround, take any appropriate additional steps to help protect the computer.
Ya, that's wonderful given all programs should be closed before installing most programs...but especially something like a service pack.

Problem is, most end users would never do such a thing.

maynardvdm

FPCH Long Term Member
Ok Seth i tried again but this time i launched the installation from the small automatic update and NOT from the update website.

I now officially have SP3 :D

I'll tell you in a day or two if its better.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Cool.

Seth prays to sky daddy that sp3 will work for you.

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
Well just installed it on my 3 year old system. Downloaded the full 316MB file the other day.

Installed tonight. Took about 9 minutes to complete the update. So far nothing wrong that has come up. It is a little bit faster at some things. IE launches a tad faster for me now and it starts downloads from MS faster but that could just be some type of authentication method on their server responding differently.

So a small gain in speed is good - so far not much else noticed.
I have to start testing at work in a Networking environment tomorrow though so will see if any speed or other changes are evident.