• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Windows XP turn off

FPCH Member
Dec 9, 2011
PC Experience
Some Experience
Hi, using Windows XP desktop, when turning off computer, have to wait a long time, so press turn of computer a second time, computer then switches off, now have to do this every time or just switch off, I now have when restarting computer, “start in safe mode” every time.

I’m sure this topic has been covered by your team, but can not find link. Help.

Oct 19, 2008
Wirral UK

or just switch off
I know we all do this out of frustration - but it is not recommended as it can damage the system.

“start in safe mode” every time.
This is probably the result of "just switching off"

Switch on and tap F8 constantly about once per second
From the Advanced Startup Options select "Last Known Good Configuration"
Let it boot up from this.

Let me know if there is any change.