• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Windows XP Updates wont install

Pigeongk

FPCH Member
Hi guys,

Following some great advice last time after my motherboard failed and updating my Windows XP I thought I see if anyone could help with a further issue I've found with my pc, I think related to the both of the above.

I had to have my old (1 yr old!) motherboard replaced after a fault and I then ran a repair install of XP and everything seemed to be working fine. I've also installed a new HD to to back up all my data. However, I've recently noticed that the windows updates are not installing, in fact none have since I've repaired the pc. They download fine using the MicrosoftUpdate website but then when starting to install they all report a failure message. I'm now upto 94 updates that need to be installed (most are security related) but each time they all download and fail on the installation stage.

Does anyone have any idea as to why this may be? I'm ***uming its something to do with the repaired windows xp running on the new motherboard although all programs etc seem to be working as normal. I've validated the xp using the microsoft site so and the fact they're down loading the updates seems to suggest it knows my XP is valid but still wont install.

If anyone has any advice or knows what the problem could be then help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Hi Pigeon.

Give this a try:

* Stop the Automatic Updates service
* Delete everything in C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore
* Delete everything in C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download
* Start the Automatic Updates service

Pigeongk

FPCH Member
Hi Seth, thanks for the advice. Unfortunately still no luck with regards the updates, they still continue to fail. I have searched on the internet but seems to be a somewhat random event! I think the last attempt will have to be a call to microsoft and hopefully they'll be able to advise further, unless anyone else has any possible suggestions?

Thanks for your help though..

Andy

maynardvdm

FPCH Long Term Member
Hi i had the same prob with someone's pc i fixed.
You have to fisrt make sure there is no viruses on the pc(i scanned with bitdefender and superantispyware, you can use trendmicro housecall too but that also tell you about all the missing updates) then when i found no more viruses i installed bitdefender(latest version and did another full system scan), then did a repair install of windows, And that sorted it for me.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Good point Maynard.

It's amazing what problems a good software clean up can correct.

Pigeongk

FPCH Member
Thanks for you help guys. I followed one of the solutions on the link Seth provided regarding issues after completing XP repairs and it worked. I re-registered the Wups2.dll after stopping the automatic updates and then re-started them and the updates installed correctly. Did a full virus scan with newly installed Norton 08 and it seems, 2 months later, that my pc is finally back to where it was!! This site has been great for all your help so thanks again - with both this and previous hardware failures I'd had! cheers

Andy

maynardvdm

FPCH Long Term Member
Don't mention that evil name here (Norton lol) it is not one of the recommended anti-virus we prefer, but everyone's got their own opinion. :)

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Thanks for the update.

Glad you were able to avoid the MS call :)