• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Wiping hard drive, re-installing windows xp and 'starting over'

deno666

FPCH New Member
Hi

i have a dell dimension 5000 series computer with windows xp home edition including service pack 2.

i've had a lot of problems with my comp and i want to complete start over so to speak. how do i completely wipe my hard drive and reinstall windows again so i can get it back to how it was when i bought it?

i have all my original disks and stuff i just dont know how to get it all rolling. i've tried pressing ctrl f11 on dell screen start up but nothing seems to happen.

hope you can help

maynardvdm

FPCH Long Term Member
boot up with the windows cd in and make sure the bios is set to boot from cd. You should be able to install it again it will ask you to format as well. LOSING all data. Hope this helps.

macgyver1267

FPCH New Member
Its a good idea to use a wipe program to completely clean your drive before reinstalling operating system. There is a free program you can download here.>> http://dban.sourceforge.net/ Follow the directions, its easy and quick to download. Then burn to disk and boot from it.