• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Wireless Interference

JEBWrench

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
Windows XP - Media Center Edition
Alrighty, here's our dilemma.

The laptop here uses a wireless connection to acess our DSL broadband. Recently, however, whenever someone is on our cordless phones, the wireless connections disappear. I'm assuming there's some sort of interference from the phones, however, it is only recent that this has happened, and to my knowledge, nothing has changed in either the configuration of our DSL connection, wireless network, or telephones.

- JEB

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
Well since you're in the UK not sure, but here in US we've recently opened up some other bands for the wireless phones as I recall.

Well before going to far in looking for an issue maybe try this first.

Turn the power off completely on your DSL and any Router you may have connected to it. Leave it off for at least 2 minutes.
Shut down the computer at the same time and leave it off for at least 2 minutes as well.

Then turn on the DSL unit and Router, then after a couple minutes turn on the PC and see if you're still having the same issue.

Tony D

Free PC Help Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
Log into the router and change the channel it uses. This setting would be in the 'wireless' menu.

Poconos

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Operating System
Questions...is the phone a 2.4 GHz Spread Spectrum and did you add any other wireless devices like the X10 series of cameras, power control modules etc. These all share the same 2.4 GHz band. If the phone is spread spectrum there is probably no channel selection option. I've got a bunch of wireless stuff, cameras and a laptop, communicating with my DSL router/modem and have never observed any interference on the DSL wireless however one of the cordless phones is spread spectrum and I do get some breakup from the wireless. The degree of breaking up depends on proximity to the network wireless devices. An older single frequency cordless phone has no interference. If the phone is not spread spectrum then changing channels like Kelly suggested will probably solve the issue. If you can change phone channels, try that too.
Al

JEBWrench

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
Log into the router and change the channel it uses. This setting would be in the 'wireless' menu.
Thanks Kelly. I'll try that if I can dig up the information to do that. I'm sure it's buried in one of these desks. :eek:

Questions...is the phone a 2.4 GHz Spread Spectrum and did you add any other wireless devices like the X10 series of cameras, power control modules etc. These all share the same 2.4 GHz band. If the phone is spread spectrum there is probably no channel selection option. I've got a bunch of wireless stuff, cameras and a laptop, communicating with my DSL router/modem and have never observed any interference on the DSL wireless however one of the cordless phones is spread spectrum and I do get some breakup from the wireless. The degree of breaking up depends on proximity to the network wireless devices. An older single frequency cordless phone has no interference. If the phone is not spread spectrum then changing channels like Kelly suggested will probably solve the issue. If you can change phone channels, try that too.
Al
I'm not sure about Spread Spectrum, it's 2.4 GHz, though. There are no new wireless devices we're using around here, and this only started happening a few days ago.

Poconos

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Operating System
Well, something had to change. I live in the sticks and always forget there are things called neighbors. If you're in close proximity to some of these 'things' then maybe someone else added or changed something. When you scan for wireless connections how many show up? Also, what about signal strength from your own access point? Wireless signals do funny things especially in structures with lots of metal. Signal reflections can drive one nuts. Also wondering, on the laptop there may be a screen where you can control the transmit power for battery conservation. If that option exists could the settings have changed? Just more suggestions. There's always a reason for things happening, just have to find it.
Al

JEBWrench

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
Oddly enough, it appears resetting the router solved the issue. The power went out today briefly, and when it came back on, the phone no longer knocked out the wireless. So, while I'm at a loss for a reason, and I know you're right, Poconos (love the race track there, by the way), that something must've changed, it appears to be resolved. Thanks for the advice everyone. :)

Rusty

Banned FPCH Member
Alrighty, here's our dilemma.

The laptop here uses a wireless connection to acess our DSL broadband. Recently, however, whenever someone is on our cordless phones, the wireless connections disappear. I'm assuming there's some sort of interference from the phones, however, it is only recent that this has happened, and to my knowledge, nothing has changed in either the configuration of our DSL connection, wireless network, or telephones.

- JEB
My mate had the same problem here in Nz. He made sure his wireless internet wasnt on the same channel as his cordless phone.

Poconos

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Operating System
Glad the problem is solved although it is always good to know why. In a power hit the router channel won't change so that leaves the phone. Don't know what they can do after a power glitch. If it was a neighbor causing the problem maybe the glitch took out his phone. Rejoice.
Which track? Horse or NASCAR?. Never been to either but one day in the Memorial day wekend a gang of us are going to Pocono Raceway to watch a friend that got a Christmas present of 8 laps in a racecar. Should be fun.
Al

JEBWrench

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
Nascar. :)

I'm not really sure what happened, but as long as it stays like this, I'm happy. :p