• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Wireless Network Controller

DrJones

FPCH New Member
Hey folks! I'd be really greatful if someone could give me some advice...

I have a Toshiba M40x-230 laptop running windows xp. Yesterday my computer froze while i was online so i restarted it. Upon restarting it came up asking me to install the drivers for the wireless network controller. So I've been sat since then trying to install/update the system with just about every driver i can find from the pre-installed ones, ones from atheros and intel.

On the device management it just shows a big yellow question mark where my wireless used to be.

I'm not being helped by the fact that the Toshiba website is useless and doesn't even have anything about my laptop model on it!

Does any one have any ideas at all?

Thanks in advance!

Jamey

FPCH Member
Yes I do. Download a handy application called 'Unknown Devices'. It usually is able to show you the manufacturer, model and/or chipset of a device that shows up 'unknown' (with the exclamation mark next to it) in Device Manager. The following link is a direct download for it:

http://files3.majorgeeks.com/files/9c47794cc5b62d463fd67c8d182f12d0/systeminfo/unknowndevices.zip

You need to extract both files to a folder somewhere. Run the application and wait a few seconds for it to scan. The unknown wireless card should appear expanded in the list. Now search through the info given to find the model/chipset that you need to download the driver for on the Internet. I recommend only going to driver download sites like driverguide.com as a last resort; the official manufacturer's site or chipset manufacturer's site are often more up-to-date and stable than those that people post randomly on the Web.

Hope this helps

DrJones

FPCH New Member
the link isn't working and i can't find the download on that site's search engine...any chance you could re-post it for me?

Cheers

DrJones

FPCH New Member
Thanks again for the help. Got the program and i installed a driver it found me from the intel site but i still cant get the damn thing to work. Do you know where i can get a recovery disc from? The lovely chaps at Currys dont have them and the even lovelier chaps at Toshiba want 50 bucks off me for one because i'm a week outside my warranty!

Thanks some more