• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

wireless router security

nickos

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Hi ,how can i tell if someone is using my router? It's set up as unsecure(by default)and i looked how to secure it but it looks too technical for a novice like me(idiots guide anyone?)my router goes mad sometimes even if my computer is switched off at mains,thats what is suspicious.Any ideas? thanks, Nickos.

maynardvdm

FPCH Long Term Member
Hi Nickos

What router do you have(make and model)? You'll have to set up some security to make sure no-one but you are using the router.

nickos

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Hi maynardvdm,it's the Netgear DG834G v3 + thanks it is worrying

nickos

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Hiya maynardvdm,is that applicable to windows vista as well?

maynardvdm

FPCH Long Term Member
Hi
The router settings is changed on the router itself so that would not make a difference. I'll look for Vista's network settings.

nickos

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Hi and thanks maynardvdm.My routers already set up but i didn't do it.I think i need to get the guy who set it up to come back + make it secure.(can't even get on to IE7 router ip address site as you detailed above)thanks, Nickos