• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

wireless routers

freespirit

FPCH New Member
i have desktop pc connected to internet via cable modem, iv'e just aquired a used laptop and want to have both pc's connected to internet via a wireless router, i bought a netgear router WGT624, followed instructions very carefully but neither pc will connect to internet.
what am i doing wrong? if anyone could help i would really appreciate it.
it just comes up at bottom of pc screen "wireless network connection not connected. both pc's are windows xp, please help!

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Hi freespirit.

Can you get online if you use a wired connection to the router?

Did you use the Netgear CD to set up the router?

What lights are solid on the router?

Some laptops have a switch or key to press to enable the wireless. Does yours?

What kind of wireless adapter did you purchase for the desktop?

Tony D

Free PC Help Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
Since this is the first time you've connected to this new wireless network, you probably have to go into the wireless utility in the SysTray a.k.a. the notification area and make the connection. Look for an icon in the bottom right, just to the left of the clock, hover over each until you find the one that is associated with your wireless network adapter. Open up the utility and search for networks, find yours and connect to it.

freespirit

FPCH New Member
thanx for answering seth,the router i bought is smc networks, my modem is with virgin, both the desktop and laptop work online if they are cabled. i tried the quick set up but it didn't work, so followed the router manual, was doin ok until i hit a page PPPoE that asked for a password and service name( dont know) and the next page PPTP which asks for PPTP account, PPTP password, host name and service ip address ( as i'm sure youv'e guessed i'm a comp newby and would appreciate any help thats offered and would be very grateful
Seth said:
Hi freespirit.

Can you get online if you use a wired connection to the router?

Did you use the Netgear CD to set up the router?

What lights are solid on the router?

Some laptops have a switch or key to press to enable the wireless. Does yours?

What kind of wireless adapter did you purchase for the desktop?