• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Wireless troubles

asimpson

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Beginner
Operating System
Windows XP - Home Edition
Hello again.

I am using a packard bell pc with windows xp home edition.

I am using a wireless adapter with my computer to connect to a network that I know is running correctly. The adapter came with an installation CD which I have used and installed the program with no problems. The program seems to be running fine, other than the fact that it isn't finding any networks to connect to. I have succesfully connected using a laptop from the same location. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Match

Free PC Help Tech Member
Is your wireless adapter a USB dongle type, or a network card inside the PC?

if its a Dongle type you could try plugging it into a USB cable, and removing it from by the PC, to see if it picks up the network. or

you could try moving the router closer to the pc with a phone extension cable (ADSL BT line connection only).

these are not good ways to solve the problem permanently but would at least tell you if its a signal strength problem and we could work from there.

asimpson

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Beginner
Operating System
It is a dongle type, will what make/model of dongle affect the range? I have a USB cable, but it dosn't make a difference. I will try and move the router closer as you suggested.

Match

Free PC Help Tech Member
I had two computers next to each other in a different room to the router. one with a netgear dongle the other with a linksys, and ended up putting the router between the two computers.

because I couldn't get a good connection with the netgear dongle

But my big problem there was the electric cables on the railway line at the bottom of the garden :(

Tootech

FPCH Member
Different makes of wireless chips do have stronger/ weaker reception.

You may just have been unlucky in your choice.

Try downloading and installing the latest drivers for your adapter.

Mains cables close to either the router or USB adapter will affect signal strength - if you can, keep them away, and try to keep your router a few feet in the air - i.e. not on the floor.

Don't be tempted to buy a better standard of adapter without checking the router's abilities.

So, for example you could be tempted to buy a Wireless N standard adapter, and use it with a Wireless G standard router. Wireless N being far superior has a better range, but only when adapter and router are N standard.

asimpson

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Beginner
Operating System
I moved the dongle and PC right next to the router, and i'm still having no luck finding the network. This suggests to me that the dongle is partly broken, would i be right in ***uming this?

Match

Free PC Help Tech Member
have you had this dongle working before, and did it just stop working?

sorry should have asked this earlier but made the mistake of ***uming everything was new and this was a set up problem :cool:

asimpson

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Beginner
Operating System
Yes, the dongle had worked before, and on the same computer. This problem is now fixed. Thanks for your help.