• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Word 2007 is corrupting files. Anyone else having the same problem?

petef

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
Windows Vista - Ultimate
I recently had a person call me about a problem they are having with MS Office 2007
where WORD 2007 is occasionally having problems opening files that were created
and saved using WORD 2007 on the same PC. The error message indicates the
files are corrupted. This is a realtively new PC that came with MSO 2007 installed.

I located a WORD 2007 file repair tool and atttempted the repair the files using
the demo version, but it fails to do the repair. Demo version is supposed to display
the repaired file but just won't allow you to save it unless you get the pay version.

I researced a bit online and found other WORD 2007 users reporting the same problem
so now I'm wondering just how widespread this problem is.

Is anyone here having a problem with corrupted WORD 2007 files or any other Office 2007 files?

Temporary solution is just to use OpenOffice.

---pete---

Last edited:

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
Hello Pete,

Well we don't use it extensively but so far a few copies and no issues yet. I have it on two systems at home (different licenses) and have not had a problem with it at home either.

On another site where I am an Admin I know a couple other Admins that use it and at least one that is in the middle of deploying so I'll ask there.

Open Office is a great free alternative in my opinion for many users. We ran into issues with memory management here though because of how we use it which a normal home user would not. We send dozens of print jobs to multiple printers with dozens of pages over and over. MS Word 2003 has no problem with it and works just fine. Open Office within a minute will start to lock up the machine as the system runs out of resources.

I'll post around and see if I find anything. Has this users system been checked for hardware issues and / or Malware / Virus issues?

petef

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
Windows Vista - Ultimate
I'll post around and see if I find anything. Has this users system been checked for hardware issues and / or Malware / Virus issues?
He's running SuperAntispyware but I didn't run a full scan to verify it's clean.
WORD 2007 was the only program that was experiencing the corrupted file problem
so I installed OpenOffice as a temporary solution, hoping that future updates
of Office 2007 might eventually fix the problem. If he experiences corrupted files
with OpenOffice, then I'll know it related to something other than WORD 2007.

They needed a quick solution because it's hard to justify spending a lot
of money for my services just to have a teenager write reports for school.

If it turns out that WORD 2007 has some bugs, then I'm sure it will be
straightened out in due time via Office 2007 updates. That's why I'd like
to find out how widespread this problem is.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

---pete---

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
Hi Pete,

Not sure if you have or will get the chance but a similar issue (different use probably but still corrupted files) seems to have been fixed by applying the SP1 for Office 2007 - since you didn't seem to mention it, did you update his Office to SP1 ?

Word 2007 - Unable to read the document - Corrupt?

Other articles of possible interest.
Repairing Corrupt Word 2007 Files

Introducing the Office (2007) Open XML File Formats

Top migration issues in the 2007 Office system

Diagnose and repair crashing Office programs by using Office Diagnostics

How to troubleshoot damaged documents in Word 2007

When certain programs are used to edit or transfer files that are stored on a Windows Home Server-based computer that has more than one hard drive, the files may become corrupted

Perhaps unrelated but interesting information from a newsgroup
For help on generating Word documents in XML format, using tools in the .NET Framework, please consult the OpenXML Developer site. This forum targets the VSTO technology, only. FWIW the *.docx file format is a compressed file format (Zip file) that requires you to use "package" technology to put multiple XML parts together. The core Word document is still the 2003 WordProcessingML, but there's a lot more around it in a *.docx file.

petef

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
Windows Vista - Ultimate
Hi Pete,

Not sure if you have or will get the chance but a similar issue (different use probably but still corrupted files) seems to have been fixed by applying the SP1 for Office 2007 - since you didn't seem to mention it, did you update his Office to SP1 ?
I didn't update it and assumed that Office 2007 updates would occur automatically
when they became available. I'll look into it to see if SP1 has been applied.
Thanks for the suggestion and the links.

---pete---

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
By default unless one goes and gets the updated installer ActiveX then the Windows update service
will only update Windows. The update though will check for other applications.

Windows Update and Microsoft Update: Features
Windows Update provides high-priority and optional updates for all supported versions of the Windows operating system. Windows Update may be accessed at http://update.microsoft.com It can also be found via the Windows Start Menu, and is included in Windows Vista in the Control Panel.

Microsoft Update provides all the updates offered by Windows Update, plus high-priority updates for Office and other Microsoft applications. Microsoft Update requires a one-time opt-in process and may be accessed at http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate

The Windows Update and Microsoft Update sites offer two types of scans:

Express finds high-priority updates
Custom finds both high-priority and optional updates
Windows Update and Microsoft Update also contain an Automatic Updating feature. With Automatic Updates, users can keep their computers up to date without having to worry about downloading and installing high-priority updates. Automatic Updates will automatically check for high-priority updates and install them for you. This option is provided during the initial set up of Windows, or can be set at any subsequent time. Note: The automatic updating feature delivers high-priority updates only. Optional updates must be accessed from the Windows Update or Microsoft Update site Custom scans.

Microsoft Update runs on Windows Vista, Windows XP (including 64-bit edition and Windows Media Center), Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003 only. Computers with earlier operating systems will automatically be directed to Windows Update. An Internet connection is required. Microsoft Update requires Internet Explorer 6.0 or greater.

Last edited:

petef

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
Windows Vista - Ultimate
By default unless one goes and gets the updated installer ActiveX then the Windows update service
will only update Windows. The update though will check for other applications.
I'm trying to think of the simplest way to instruct the customer via an Email so that he
gets all the current Office 2007 Updates. He's running Office 2007 in WinXP. I'm thinking
that he should run Windows Update manually (START > All Programs > Windows Update)
and install the Active-X when prompted, and then look for an option to include Office
2007 updates when he does the updates. I fear it might be too complicated for the
kid to follow my written instructions. I don't want to frustrate him.

One reason I didn't focus on trying to solve the problem within WORD 2007
is that it's too time consuming and costly to the customer. Even if I had updated
Office 2007 with all it's updates I still would not have known if the problem was
fixed because the file corruption only occurs once in a while. That's why OpenOffice
seemed like the best short term solution, with the Office 2007 updates being the long
term solution. So now I'd just like the customer to use OpenOffice for a while to see
if any file corruptions occur. Then weeks or months later, I'll have them apply all
the current Office 2007 Updates and they will have have to measure the risks
of having more file corruptions if going back to WORD 2007.

Now, perhaps you can see my dilema in providing customer satisfaction.
I can't keep going back and charging them to try all these different fixes
on a problem that is so difficult to troubleshoot because it only occurs
once in a while. It's this kind of problem that makes me have such disdain
for MS products when they won't perform the simplest operations of file
saving & opening. I mean it's good for me because it brings me business,
but I tend to look at things from the consumer's point of view.

---pete---

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Be forewarned pete and ron.

If you click on that link on a Vista system you will get a different result then with previous versions of Windows. You will not get taken to the update site in Vista. Instead you will go to the built in update on Vista.

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
Yes, but the good part is that Vista is smart enough to run it's own updater regardless of which of the MS update sites you go to.

I know MS tries to please all parties but I think they should have just had the one link for all updates for all their software. Then show it's available and let the user decide if they want it or not.