• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

XP Installation Probs

gazzap1983

FPCH New Member
Hey everyone,

So I bought a new hard drive, motherboard and chipset. Brought them home and fit them. Turned it on, insert XP disc and began the installation. It starts the usual way, going through all the pre-install nonsense, then all of a sudden BOOF blue screen of death!!

I know what I did - I did a quick format instead of a full format (huge mistake on a new hard drive I know!) but is there any way of getting it back so that I can get around this blue screen? Its killing me!!

Thanks folks

gazzap1983

FPCH New Member
Thanks for the quick response.

I tried this several times, but I keep getting the blue screen of death right before it kicks into the option to format?

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Did you purchase new ram as well?

Something is wrong the hardware. In your scenerio, I would suspect the video card or incompatible ram.

For the install disconnect any needless hardware, remove the video card and use on board video if you have it. Also try the install with one ram stick at a time.

Check here to make sure the ram is compatible with the mobo:

www.crucial.com