• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

xp start problem

jocky9

FPCH Member
i can't get windows to start, when i switch the pc on it comes on for a few seconds switches off for a few seconds then boots up again but this time it beeps 1 long beep 3 short 3 more short and then 1 more long then the pc seems to stay on but nothing happens, blank screen.it won't start in safe mode either.the last thing i did was a defrag but it said there wasn't enough contiginous space to move some of the defragmented files so it scheduled to do it at next start up, thats when the problems started.

W

Wolfeymole

Sounds to me there is a fault with the graphics card Jocky, remove it and reseat it making sure it's secure.
While your at it make sure the memory sticks are firmly in too and as a final thing blow any dust out using compressed air especially around the CPU heatsink.

jocky9

FPCH Member
thanks for that but it appears i have an integrated graphics card.are there still some parts i can take out and reseat or would i be better just getting a new graphics card.

jocky9

FPCH Member
thanks for that but it appears i have an integrated graphics card.are there still some parts i can take out and reseat or would i be better just getting a new graphics card.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
If you can get to the Safe Mode menu, choose "Last Known Good Configuration" from that menu.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
That code indicates a ram (memory) problem.

Go into the bios (setup) by tapping DEL or F1 as soon as you turn on the computer. The screen will tell you what key to press. Once in the Bios, restore the defaults and make sure to save the changes.

If that doesn't work and you have two sticks of ram, then try the system with only one stick at a time.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Great.

You could try putting the ram back in, as it may just be a bad connection. But, if you're happy with the way the computer is running, then you might want to leave well enough alone.:)